Calculate your chances...negative...negative...negative!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Some music I've been digging.

I know I've been down on a lot of music lately. There's a lot of shit music out there. But now, I'd like to highlight a few things I've been digging on. Not indepth reviews, just some "you should check this out" and I'll include the ever popular mp3s where I can.



First up is Zombi and their new album Surface to Air. These guys sound to me like Rush doing a John Carpenter film score. Can I just tell you what an awesome combination that is? Naah, I won't tell you, listen for your self:

Zombi - Challenger Amp
Zombi - Digitalis



Next, the full legnth from The Black Angels Passover. This is droning psychedelic stuff that makes me think of the Blue Cheer and the Silver Apples as well as newer bands like Spacemen 3 and Jesus and Mary Chain. Really good stuff, highly recommended.

The Black Angels - The First Vietnamese War



OK, I've always dug the Coup, but I think Pick a Bigger Weapon might be their best album yet. Once again, expect this one to get overlooked, but if you like intelligent, highly political hip hop with some of the best modern G-funk beats around, you're going to want to check this one out.

The Coup - We Are the Ones
The Coup - My Favorite Mutiny



Last one for now, I always love Mono, the Japanese Mono anyway. Their new one You Are There on the always excellent Temporary Residence label is another stunner.

Mono - The flames beyond the cold mountain


Alright, that's it for now. Hope you enjoy this stuff. I know everyone else does the mp3 posts, but I figure I've slagged enough music, I ought to point out some stuff I actually like.

No comments: