Calculate your chances...negative...negative...negative!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Luck O'the Thrift Score

Luck has an interesting way of factoring into life sometimes. For me, that occasionally manifests itself in thrifting. Granted, I'll go through long dry spells when I don't find anything interesting, but then I'll hit a patch where things that have entered my mind recently magically show up.

OK. I don't really believe any of that crap. If I do have summoning power, I wish someone would tell me how to fine tune it a little better.

If you've been following the story so far, I'm searching for a CED videodisc player, a creature I still haven't seen in all my years of thrifting despite often times finding discs. Why? Well, I got a few movies I want to play. That and it's a piece of vintage technology I've always wanted to own. I'm crazy like that.

Well, stop number one and what do I find?



Ahahaha! So close and yet so far. Now, I'm not complaining as this new laserdisc player is a much better player than the one I own. (It's a Laseractive, which gives me "I've got an obscure videogame console you'll probably never own" bragging rights, but it's actually a pretty mediocre movie player.) No remote, of course, but it appears to be working fine.

I don't know which of those CDs is more embarassing, the hippy jam fusion of Ozric Tentacles or the proto-grunge of Green River.

For my second stop, I actually found a few items, but I didn't feel like waiting in line to check out. Nothing too exciting, a late 70s McCoy Tyner LP and Neil Diamond's Silo album. Wasn't really worth the time. I'm a busy man, you know.

To represent this thrifting stop, I'd like to share with you one of the images returned on a Google search for "this space intentionally left blank."



Stop three (hey, said I was I busy man) netted me a few more odds and ends.



Yes, I found MORE BLASTED CED DISCS!!!!!!! Still no player! Gaaaaah!

Well, it's not like I haven't seen the original Godzilla a million times. I guess this purchase was like all the 8-tracks I own of favorite albums. Something cool about owning a beloved movie in a clunky obscure format like this, even if I can't play the damn thing.

On the CD side, I can't remember if I like the Mission UK or not and I've now finished my Kitchens of Disctincion collection, except the rarities disc that comes with the greatest hits album. Whoopie!

No comments: