Calculate your chances...negative...negative...negative!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Bow down before greatness.

Apparently I am an electronic music pioneer and didn't even know it. Or so says the "Encyclopedia FunTrivia".

According to them, I wrote the Moog novelty tune Popcorn. Here's the page but for those of you who don't feel like scrolling through that ugly mess, here's a screencap of the money quote:



Now, you may be asking, how do I know they mean me specifically? I know there are millions of Rob Guernseys out there. Trust me, I get confused with the others all the time.

Well, here's the deal. Once upon a time, when the internet was new and all web pages looked like your average MySpace page, I had a web site where I was documenting oddball records I'd bought at thrift stores (sound familiar?) The site, which moved from Anglefire to IUPUI, is long gone and I never bothered to get it hosted elsewhere. This of course means the virtual world is without information on such classics as "Accutrack 2000 Demonstration Record" and "Lonnie Don Talks to Teens."

I still find pieces of it here and there, even though it hasn't been archived. For instance, one of the soul/funk sites ganked my pictures of the Sy Mann and the Brothers version of "Shaft." (I ain't mad at 'em.) But the one thing, other than the aforementioned Accutrack demo record, that keeps coming back is this damn Hot Butter album I wrote about.

At the time (mid 90s) no one else was covering any of this stuff on-line. So, the simple act of throwing up a page about something made you an Internet expert on whatever the subject was.

What happened was, the record in question was a fairly popular novelty tune and I wrote about it. Someone wrote me asking about it. You can still see an archived version of his site here but you're going to have to highlight to actually read it. Because of that guy, I was the expert on that record for a few years.

Where that Encyclopedia FunTrivia site above got the idea that I wrote the song, that's anyone's guess. However, I'm pretty sure they got their info from that guy I liked to above as their little blurb reads like a sloppy cut and paste version of his summary of my page. Because that page is the only place my name is linked with that song, I'm certain that's what's happened.

All I can say is "where my royalties bitches?"

I'm also wondering how I managed to write a song released three years before I was born and penned three years prior to that? Damn I'm good.

Oh, and if you don't know the song, here's a corny MIDI file to annoy your loved ones with.

PS- Big respect to Gershon Kingsley, the man who actually wrote "Popcorn".

No comments: