Calculate your chances...negative...negative...negative!

Monday, May 01, 2006

Win some, lose some.

Quick thought on a really obscure LP I picked up ages ago.

I finally had a chance to listen to this "Live at the Lamplighter Inn" by the Lanny Hartley Trio and Jimmy Scruggs that I picked up back in October or November. I picked it up as it was a private pressing of a local group from (I'm guessing) '69 and the price was arrite for the condition (practically unplayed.)

I was hoping I'd stumbled across some undiscovered jem, but what I got was a competent but typical private pressing record of a typical lounge act of the time. Yeah, the track listing tipped me off (lots of standards, two medleys, Hava Nigela, few chrissakes!) but I still held out hope as there were a few R&B crossover tracks as well.

Oh well. That's what I get for not bringing the portable turntable with me.

No comments: