Calculate your chances...negative...negative...negative!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

This Guy Knows What I'm Talkin' About

Well, what do you know? I'm not alone in being contacted by clueless, horrible bands. (Not like I really ever thought I was.)

Fortunately, I don't get so many poorly produced CD-Rs these days. With what we do on the Free Zone, we are a bit more likely to play something that was recorded in someone's garage and sounds like it, if the music is good. The thing is, so rarely are these crappy CD-Rs people send worth hearing, it's not even really an issue.

The other side of things is, people seem to be unaware of the volume of stuff that reaches a radio station or reviewer in a week. I know I've mentioned it before, but it's a lot. You've got to do something to stand out and throwing a CD you just burnt in an envelope with no information other than a band name and email address written in marker on the CD is not going to cut it.

Plus, you have to actually be good. I know it's going to sound like an elitist statement, but technology has made recording too accessible these days. Now, I'm not going to suggest that every band that recorded ten or twenty years ago should have, but I think the fact that you had to put some work and money into it probably separated some of the wheat from the chafe.

At the very least, you got more polished turds, just by virtue of bands having to record in a real studio with real engineers. I'm not suggesting improved fidelity means improved music, but at least for this jock, it might mean someone will leave your album on long enough to discover any good songs rather than turning it off instantly.

I guess I'll also roll this into a what up for Hitch Magazine while I'm at it. Fine stuff there. Check it out kids.

No comments: